‘Abalashrama’ is primarily a rehabilitation centre for orphaned girls and destitute women between the ages of 16 and 25. In addition to providing basic needs like adequate shelter, wholesome food and decent clothing, they are imparted education and / or vocational training suited to their ability and aptitude. The Ashrama is adopting a holistic approach in the process of rehabilitation, the aim being to fulfill the immediate needs while keeping in view the long-term aspirations of each individual.
The institution has the satisfaction of having helped thousands of women and girls in its ten decades of fruitful existence.
The earlier premises of Abalashrama, built in 1911, is presently replaced by a new spacious modern building to accommodate more residents, to give better amenities and to have varieties of activities.
- Suraksha, a shelter with protection for rehabilitation.
- The Ashrama has a Multi Skills Development Centre – Swavalambana - for its residents as also for the underprivileged girls and women from outside the Ashrama.
- The Ashrama runs a family counselling centre – Santvana – for the general public.
- Souharda, a marriage facilitation centre for orphaned, handicapped and destitute boys and girls.
- The Ashrama has a centre – Soubhagya – for facilitating job-placement for needy women and girls.
- The Ashrama brings out a quarterly news letter Sankalpa relating to the ongoing activities of the Ashrama, and to highlight issues concerning women.
- The Ashrama has an outlet – Saphalya - to facilitate marketing of products made by the residents as also by women outside the Ashrama who are economically weak.
- The Ashrama’s auditorium – Sabhangana - is meant exclusively for organisations working with social commitment to conduct their programmes.
- Samskriti, a platform for strengthening the cultural and religious roots of the society.
- Sahaya – assistance for varied timely needs on a non-residential basis.
- Swabhimana, a platform to arouse patriotism and infuse moral values in the residents.
- Sevasumana, a centre to inculcate the sprit of selfless service among the residents as also among girls and women in the society in general.
- Surabhi, a platform for the residents to explore and exhibit their latent talents.
- Subodha, a facility for reading room and library.
- Sambandh, keeping cordial relationship with past residents.
- Samanvaya, working in co-ordination with sister organizations.
- Sabala - exhaustive and exclusive web portal on women issues.
- Shubham - Guidance for the newly weds.
- Sanmana - Honoring women achievers.